I have something to share that you might find useful.
📖 Table of Contents
This Tool Is for You if You:
- ❤️ Love planning as much as traveling itself
- 🗺 Are planning to go on a longer trip (for example a world trip)
- 🏄 Are going on a trip with several activities that requires more baggage
- 🗻 Are traveling across different climates with various weather conditions
- ⚓️ Want to know exactly how much luggage (weight) you’ll need for a trip
- 🪶 Or simply want an effective tool to help you reap the benefits of traveling light
What I’m sharing here with you is my personal Google Sheets travel packing list template I’ve used for a few years now.
And no, I don’t ask for your email or anything else. You can download the template with one click down below.
How to Access the Tool:
- Visit this page on your desktop/laptop 💻
- Open tool (Google Sheets) 🔗
- Choose: “File” and then “Make a copy” to start editing 📝
Why It’s Useful
Based on your inputs the list automatically calculates your carry-on and check-in weight to make sure you don’t exceed the limits.
Plus a recommended maximum backpack weight based on your body weight (if you’re traveling with a backpack).
TIP: A rule of thumb is that your backpack shouldn't be heavier than 20% of your body weight. Though sometimes certain trips and expeditions make this hard to accomplish, you still want to avoid it, otherwise, you have to pay the "heavy" price of less comfort and mobility.
How to Sort the List With Two Easy Steps
- Choose column “A” if you wish to sort by item (alphabetically) or column “B” if you wish to sort by weight:
2. Then go to the top menu and first choose “Data” then “Sort range” and then “Sort sheet by column X (A to Z)” or “Sort sheet by column X (Z to A)”
TIP: When sorting by weight (Column B), choosing (A to Z) will sort after the lightest items first, while choosing (Z to A) will sort after the heaviest items first.
If You Want To Pack as Light as Possible
The list on its own is a helpful tool.
But if you want to pack as lightly and efficiently as possible, I suggest reading my most comprehensive guide to date.
Here I’ll also go through the methods I apply to this specific list, to trim it down even further.
Travel Packing List Example (Backpacking)
|Items||Weight (ounces)||Weight (grams)|
|Cap (wearing it)||0||0|
|Charger for phone and cable||1.59||45|
|Earplugs (6 x pcs)||0.18||5|
|First aid bag (empty weight)||0.35||10|
|Fleece sweater (wearing it)||0||0|
|Grayl Geopress bottle with water filter||15.34||435|
|Iodine and cotton swabs||1.76||50|
|Jeans (wearing it)||0||0|
|Laptop USB hub||2.47||70|
|Lock for hostel lockers||4.94||140|
|Lock with long cable||3.17||90|
|Lock for backpack zippers (2 x pcs)||4.41||125|
|Perfume (30 ml)||4.23||120|
|Raincover for backpack||3.53||100|
|Raincover for daypack||2.82||80|
|Razor and blades||1.76||50|
|Shirts – short sleeve (4 x pcs)||21.16||600|
|Shorts (2 x pcs)||16.93||480|
|Shorts for training (2 x pcs)||10.58||300|
|Sneakers (wearing it)||0||0|
|Socks – long (5 x pcs)||10.58||300|
|Socks – long (wearing it)||0||0|
|Socks – short (9 x pcs)||6.35||180|
|Sunglasses including cover||3.35||95|
|T-shirts (2 x pcs)||10.58||300|
|T-shirt (extra for carry-on baggage)||5.29||150|
|T-shirt (wearing it)||0||0|
|T-shirts for training (2 x pcs)||10.58||300|
|Toilet bags (2 x pcs – empty weight)||8.47||240|
|Toilet paper (half roll)||2.12||60|
|Underwear (6 x pcs)||16.94||480|
|Underwear (extra for carry-on baggage)||2.82||80|
|Underwear (wearing it)||0||0|
|The total weight (excluding backpack) =||22.78 lb||10,33 kg.|
TIP: A good source to find the weights of items is under the "Product details" on Amazon product pages.
Questions or Feedback?
Please leave it in a comment down below, and I’ll get back to you soon as possible <3
Leave a reply